Benign Prostatatic Hyperplasia is a mouthful to say. Chances are you may know it as BPH or simply as an enlarged prostate. As men live longer it’s a good bet their prostate will see some enlargement. Symptoms typically occur in men over age 50 and can include:
Leaking urine Inability to empty bladder A stream that starts and stops while urinating An urgent urge to urinate Difficulty in starting a… Read More »
Dietary guidelines for prostate health and function include:
Eat fresh and organic foods whenever possible Enjoy grapefruit as a breakfast juice, add segments to salads, have a half grapefruit as a first course Eat legumes regularly, especially organic soyfoods (tofu, tempeh, edamame, etc) Eat fresh vegetables every day, especially mustard family vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, kale, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, etc.) Men eating 4 servings of vegetables daily have almost… Read More »
Tagged with: African American Men, annual physical, Bayer, benign prostatic hyperplasia, bph, diet and prostate cancer, eat more fish, enlarged prostate, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, men who speak up, prostate cancer, PSA, real men get tested, regular check ups, silence is not a cure
The easiest way to clear a room full of men – Mention the word “Doctor” followed by “Annual Physical“.
Sadly more than 60% of American men report they never visit a medical office. The remaining 40% routinely hold back on information during a visit out of fear they might receive bad news. Unfortunately, men often fail to recognize the amount of financial and emotional stress they… Read More »
While we all “know” that Prostate Cancer is exclusively a man’s disease you might be surprised to discover that prostate cancer and breast cancer have a lot in common. In fact, prostate cancer in a male member of your family can be an early warning sign that you or another family members may be highly pre-disposed to developing breast cancer. Learn the
To learn more about this visit www.BreastFriends.org for… Read More »
Tagged with: African American Men, annual physical, Becky Olson, bph, breaking the silence, Breastfriends, enlarged prostate, men who speak up, prostate cancer, prostate cancer diagnosis, PSA, PSA Testing, real men get tested, silence is not a cure, US Preventative Services Taskforce, women's health, www.breastfriends.org
Is there is anything you can do to reduce the risk of prostate cancer?
Yes… And here are few suggestions
Do not smoke
There appears to be a strong association between smoking and prostate cancer mortality. A study published in JAMA in 2011 followed 5,366 men with prostate cancer for 20 years. The study found smokers had a statistically significant increased risk of prostate cancer mortality. Another study published in… Read More »
Tagged with: benign prostatic hyperplasia, bph, diet and cancer, diet and prostate cancer, eat more fish, enlarged prostate, men speak up, PSA, real men get tested, real men speak up, US Preventative Services Taskforce